Sunday, October 26, 2014

A new fireplace and some blue accents!

Today we finally finished up the fireplace project that we started back in September.  It was a long process of finding the right stone and the fact that we did everything ourselves, even hooking up the gas! My hubby can do anything! 
After a couple attempts, we finally got it to work, found the right stone, hearth and wood for the mantel. 
The mantel is solid pine. I stained it using the color Jacobean by Minwax. I absolutely love this color!

We added 3 coats of polyurethane and it is perfect! 

Next up was the hearth. That was the toughest. After a few trips we landed in the right one. And today we finished it up! 
I really could just sit and look at it. I wish you could see how the stone sparkles in the light. It's beautiful! 
I wanted to keep it very neutral so I could change color as I wanted. 
Right now I am on an aqua blue kick! I wanted some subtle pops of it in this room. 
I had lots of "jar fillers" already that were all neutral. I wanted just a few blue ones. 
So outside I went with some pine cones and grapevine balls and a can of spray paint! 
It's perfect now!
I love spray paint! It's such an inexpensive and simple way to change or add some color! 
I added a few of my burlap pumpkins and now I am all set for fall! This is all the decorating I did this year since the room was tore apart! 
This room is now so cozy, literally! It's so warm and inviting! I think we will be spending a lot of time here! 
Zach loves to read here, however I think we should get him a bean bag. He is using the dog's bed! 




No comments: